There is more reward for doing acts of worship and giving charity during the month of Ramadan. This is why it is recommended to increase worship and give more generously in this blessed month. Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar and holds a lot of rewards. During this month, Abu Huraira reported the following: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: When the month of Ramadan begins, the gates of the heaven are opened, the gates of Hellfire are closed, and the devils are chained. (Ṣaḥiḥ al-Bukhari)
Why do we give Sadaqah in Ramadan?
Sadaqah is a voluntary form of charity and can take the form of many acts. The reason we give Sadaqah is ultimately to please Allah (SWT). Islam encourages us to give generously to others and puts a high emphasis on charity. In Islam, there is Zakat, which is compulsory for able Muslims, but there are also voluntary forms of charity like Sadaqah and Lillah. We should strive to perform these acts of charity as much as we can, especially during the blessed month of Ramadan.
Some examples of Sadaqah include:
- Cooking a meal for your family
- Buying the groceries
- Visiting the sick and elderly
- Having a good relationship with your neighbours
- Gifting to friends and family
- Giving Dawah and guiding people to Islam
What is Sadaqah Jariyah?
Sadaqah Jariyah differs slightly from Sadaqah. Sadaqah Jariyah means flowing or ongoing charity, which refers to the everlasting rewards and benefits of performing this charity. To help you to understand what Sadaqah Jariyah means, here are some examples:
- Giving a Qur’an, Islamic book or dua book to someone – when they read it, you will get the reward.
- Building a water well in a developing country – for everyone - person or animal - who drinks from it, you can gain reward.
- Bringing up a pious child who can benefit and help others – through their actions, you can get the reward as a parent/carer/guardian.
- Planting a tree – for the fruit that it produces, you can get the reward if people eat from it, or if someone takes shelter from the sun under it, you can also get the reward.
- Donating towards building a Masjid – for every person who prays there, you can get a share of the reward.
As you can see, there are many actions you can do that fall under Sadaqah Jariyah, and most of these are amazingly simple and easy to do! This Ramadan, try to do some of them to gain endless rewards, even after you have passed away.
Muhammad, upon him, be peace, said: "When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for three things: Sadaqah Jariyah (ceaseless charity); a knowledge which is beneficial, or a virtuous descendant who prays for him (for the deceased)." (Muslim)
Donate Sadaqah Jariyah
This Ramadan can be the most valuable time to donate Sadaqah Jariyah! Join the movement to donate Sadaqah Jariyah this Ramadan to be a part of something beautiful. Your donations can greatly help others who are struggling in ways we cannot even imagine.
Imagine not having food to eat for Iftar, not having clean water, a safe place to pray in, or not having a family to share the happiness of Ramadan with. Your donations will have a crucial impact on these people. Please donate generously to help our fellow brothers and sisters around the world and invest in your akhirah.
In a hadith, the Prophet (PBUH) said, “You will not believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself.”
The Prophet, upon him, be peace, said: “The believer’s shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity.” (Al-Tirmidhi)